Wednesday 1 December 2010

Television inspired football memories

I'm talking TV today, more specifically the outstanding US hit series Friday Night Lights. I can remember eagerly awaiting the Region 2 DVD release of the first series which was shown on ITV 2 back in 2006 or 07. Having missed pretty much the entire series on television I literally couldn't wait to get the box-set and absorb all the American High School football drama that I'd heard so much about.

The game of American Football has played a fairly big part of my life since the age of 17 - weird right as soon as I live in England! But there was always something about the classic Gridiron game that I found deeply interesting and full of intrigue. I say to people ...... "it's like a game of chess, and you'll never understand it if you don't give it a try".

I played at College and University (England) and never looked back. Whatever you've seen in American teen films about their beloved football ..... it's all true! And students and coaches over here do the best they can to replicate the ethos and attitude of an American High School team - meaning American Football has become the best organised game at University in the UK because of this Americanisation. Here's a short list of the types of things you can expect from a University team in the UK that make them as American as can be ...

American terminology - pants, "my bad" - hard work, too many practices, weight lifting sessions, cheerleaders,  player cheerie parties, dating cheerleaders, over-eating, protein shakes, going away to football camp, the best equipment and uniforms, encouragement to study on and off the field, respect - yes Coach, no Coach, Sir - how to be a leader, a great team-mate, confidant and overall .... Proud to represent your University and go through thick and thin with your mates, day in and day out. It's the notion of "All In". 

Being "All In" is in my opinion what makes playing the game so incredible - it's like an extended family for life.

 << Pre-Season Football Camp October 2006



All of the aforementioned brings me back to my original point which was talking about the TV Series Friday Night Lights. I guess I just wanted to explain that I made some terrific memories playing the game at University, which is why I enjoy watching the series so much.

I don't want to bore you with another 3 paras so I'll cut this post short and post again later - this time it will actually be about the TV show :D

No comments: