Thursday 12 August 2010

Media whore

So its been a rather busy past few weeks in my camp - mainly due to the fact that I've been accepting freelance shifts left, right and centre without the slightest thought to my own well-being *sob*.

Not that I'm in any position to be declining work anyway because I never know when the work will dry up. Plus, I actually enjoy what I do which is something I'm sure half the population can't agree with - I feel very lucky in this regard. As the saying goes "find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life'. These words of wisdom make perfect sense to me and I think about them often as I continue to make my first major steps in the world of broadcast journalism.

My busy schedule has tested me in many ways ...... physically, psychologically and financially if we're being honest. The purse - cough, cough, man wallet - strings have had to be loosened for the daily hour commute to the studio. The physical downturn is really due to lack of food, it's extremely difficult to find an opportunity to munch on a sandwich when working the newsdesk. I try to sneak a cereal bar into my gob whilst writing scripts, putting in calls for interviews, answering the phone (usually to someone who wants us to announce they have a missing cat on air), editing audio, making sure the work experience hasn't fallen asleep and all the rest of it. AND psychologically, well ... I guess I don't have much of a case here, just thought it would sound good .... sheer mental strain! haha.

Anyway, in a nutshell I've been running the afternoon drivetime news shift at a couple of local radio stations for a few weeks now - covering for the Head of News who's ill - and I've been loving it. Just goes to show I'm perfectly capable of producing top quality news day after day, and to a high standard. Something which I haven't been able to demonstrate in a full time capacity to date. Soon I hope though.

Bye for now
x

No comments: