Tuesday 17 August 2010

Reporter Shift - Friday 6th August - Assignment 2

I readied myself and packed up the equipment for my second lead story assignment of the day - by this time the girls on Sales had dubbed me the "Death Correspondent".

In brief, just under two weeks ago from the day, a family of four had been found dead at their home in Fordingbridge - Mum, Dad and their two daughters aged 1 and 2. Although speculation pointed to the father as the killer, not alot had been proved. All we knew was he had died from hanging and the mother had died from stab wounds - the postmortem results on the two young girls were returned inconclusive.

We'd reported on the tragic event from day one and it was only right to continue following the story closely, even if we didn't think any new info would be turned over. So I went to the funeral of the mother and her two girls that rainy afternoon on August 6th.

Unlike the ceremony for Major Bowman I wasn't allowed into the procession, the media were instead herded into what I've come to call a "cattle pen" outside, across the street - not that I wanted to go inside anyway. By this time I'd pretty much accepted that this day wasn't really going to cheer up! By the days end I'd tripled the amount of funerals I'd attended in less than 24 hours.

What did make this assignment exciting was the fact that I was working LIVE and on location. Just how news reporting should be, no mater how big or small your station. Gathering what little info I could find from people in the local area, people at the post funeral gathering in the hall, and from what I'd absorbed with my own eyes.

A generous sprinkle of rain continued to fall on us, rather appropriate to the sombre mood which had blanketed this usually busy market town. Whilst absorbing the atmosphere and spectating on the procession I was constantly making notes, scribbling words down on my pad and thinking about the tone and feel of my upcoming reports. I'm a rather messy worker and tend to jot down all my thoughts on pieces of paper with speech bubbles and arrows doodled all over the page! I like it :D  

Anyway, once I'd drummed together my rough scripts the work experience and I retreated to a local pub to use their power points. As I aforementioned this assignment was so exciting because of this "working from location" dynamic of the story. Racing the clock and working wherever you could - hood up and huddled over my pad opposite the church, squatting and scribbling, in the pub. This is how real journalists work, and I was loving it! ... Back to it, laptop on, script recorded on location, wireless dongle on, audio sent, call made to let the presenter know "it was in!"   .. One done, next, an extended update for the next news bulletin! It was all go! ..

I wish I had a photo of me from this day to add some colour to this post. But here's someone I greatly admire and I hope one day I can fulfill a similar role as a news reporter in conflict zones - Sky News Middle Eastern Correspondent Dominic Waghorn.

No comments: