Tuesday 20 April 2010

Keep on trucking!

Yesterday I had an interview for a part time job. Well, an induction is more accurate. I should have known form the get go that this would be an epic disaster, any job interview/ induction which doesn't require any of the following is sure to be awful. 1. Completed application 2. Id 3. References 4. Statement of education and relevant experience.  I was blinkered by my sheer desperation for  standard part time gig. Now that I look back on it I struggle to actually comprehend what I was thinking, was I so silly to think this interview would lead to anything substantial?

Upon my arrival I was chauffeured into a meeting room which to my horror was already occupied by  other people like me, part time job seekers. I glanced around, gingerly doing my best to avoid any kind of eye contact with what can only be described as a bunch of reprobates. One chap called Dave was actually rather funny. His body, skinnier than a wicker of bamboo was covered with piercings and tatoos. He rather candidly explained that he had his own business as a battle re-enactment organiser, and he was only here because he wanted extra money to get inked some more, fair enough if you ask me. The rest of the room was made up of foreign students and kids barely legal to buy cigarettes, the kind of youngster who can't look you in the eye when talking to you.

As the team leader began explaining that the job role was tele-sales and door canvassing, I thought, you sod! The advert was copmepletely different. But, then again, this is what they do. Place a well worded ad to lure in candidates before they know what the hell they're getting themselves into. I should have politely walked out there and then.

He continued to talk about the roles, career, opportunities yada yada yada. But the only thing SCREAMING in my mind (apart from myself) was, how did it end up like this, I definitely don't need this, I'm well educated and well experienced in my field of work, nothing is worth this. Excuse the snobbery there, but it's the hinest truth. No way should I be mixing it up with these yahoos. He continued to talk, standing against a newly painted white wall which looked out of place surrounded by three old white walls, discoloured with the depression of underachievers. My mind wondered as I stared at the blue and red tiled carpet, it looked like over-sized pixels form an old Mario game. What was I doing here ..


I can honestly say that I'm definitely not going back there, but they have encouraged me to work harder, look to gain more experience, keep applying for Broadcast work, and extra freelance shifts. That one hour terrified me. Is this what my life could be like should I abandon my dream? I'm not going to stick around for that nightmare to continue, WAKE UP! ..



If yesterday wasn't enough inspiration to keep at it, than I don't know what is ..

No comments: